Wednesday, September 17, 2014

On Doing Things You Love Daily

As a writer, I have always heard this advice: Write daily.

I have seen it extended to just about any kind of skill, really. Practice makes perfect. And the more practice, obviously, the better you will be. It's actually really great advice, especially if you care about doing whatever it is well or plan on doing it for others beside yourself. For example, if you wanted to turn something like writing into a career.

The thing is, I think there's another aspect to that as well. Because if you love something, if it's a passion of yours, then finding time for it every day is more than just helping you become better at it. For me, when I have written I feel better. Not because I have made progress strengthening that skill, but because it makes me happy and lets me put my feelings out there. It has a very positive impact on my mood and my life.

I forget this when I haven't written for awhile. If I'm honest I'm not sure how many days I go without writing something - a to-do list, email, or even blog post - but nothing seems to be the same for me as writing fiction. And it's super easy to forget this and go months without writing, simply because I didn't try hard enough to conquer writer's block or I finished my current work and didn't start another right away.

I just really wanted to point out that there are so many reasons to do things you enjoy every day. Make time for them, because there's a reason you love them. Some days they might feel like a chore, and there's nothing bad about stepping away for a day or two, but always step back. Don't let yourself forget your passion. You'll probably be worse for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment